Responsible for performing collection activities associated with various delinquent Real Estate Loans in addition to and including delinquent Visa credit and debit cards, lines of credit, secured loans, signature loans, real estate loans, home equity lines of credit, overdrawn shares and over limit VISA credit and debit cards.
Reviews delinquent and problem accounts, determines probable reasons for account status, and contacts members to resolve the delinquencies. Utilizes various techniques, as circumstances indicate, to promptly collect on delinquent accounts. Ensures that the Credit Union's professional image is maintained.
1. Designation of authority.
a. Responsible to assist other collectors and be a mentor for them to learn from.
b. Assist the Loss Mitigation Management and Legal Collectors when required.
2. Assumes responsibility for the effective and professional performance of collections' functions.
a. Receives delinquency notices from the computer system and verifies the status of the loans.
b. Follows up the delinquent notices of real estate loans and associated accounts by telephone, personal contact, and correspondence to secure a satisfactory resolution to the repayment problem. Discusses possible financial arrangements, informs members of potential legal actions, and suggests financial counseling to arrive at suitable payment arrangements. Continues to collect until loan becomes a write-off, bankruptcy, or attorney account. Makes early contact with members and co-makers to collect and keep them informed of loan status. Makes effective use of Collection tools.
c. Utilizes effective human relations skills and various forms of persuasion to present a positive Credit Union image in an already negative situation. Calms irate members and answers member questions and complaints relevant to Department functions. Determines reasons for delinquencies and works toward permanent solutions. Minimizes losses by early actions.
d. Utilizes further appropriate collection methods if initial attempts do not secure required payment. Recommends extensions of due dates. Suggests consolidations, financial counseling, repossessions, or foreclosure as needed.
e. Monitors loans to insure members have adequate insurance coverage to protect collateral and the Credit Union's interests.
f. Performs skip tracing.
g. Does Property Inspections in order to see condition and possibly to reach out to our members.
h. Recommends small claims court complaints and post judgment actions including garnishments, supplemental orders and executions.
i. Recommends accounts for charge off and completes related processing. Prepares documentation on approved accounts, performs write offs, adds information to the bad debt file, and reports data to check systems.
j. Refers accounts to Legal Collector for civil matters, bankruptcy, foreclosure and related legal actions. Continues related collection efforts.
k. Performs collections efforts in accordance with Credit Union policies and procedures and ensures they are legally compliant.
3. Assumes responsibility for the efficient administration of collections activities.
a. Keeps accurate and up-to-date activity reports on late, potentially late, and delinquent loans.
b. Documents all collection actions taken, including telephone conversations, alternative financial arrangements, and correspondence on computer.
c. Researches loan accounts that appear on late and potentially late records to ensure that Credit Union errors are detected promptly. Provides members the opportunity to fully explain their loan status.
4. Assumes responsibility for ensuring that professional business relations are established and maintained with Credit Union members.
a. Maintains the Credit Union's professional reputation throughout collections operations and in all contacts with members.
b. Maintains confidentiality.
c. Develops contacts with the NUCI and other financial institutions.
- High school graduate or equivalent.
- Knowledge of collection procedures and related laws and regulations.
- Understanding of Credit Union loan products and policies. Familiar with default and enforcement clauses.
- Familiar with deposit programs and understands account ownership.
- Familiar with casualty insurance used to protect security.
- Basic understanding of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code.
- Understanding of Small Claims Court system.
- Previous collection experience with full-service financial institution helpful.
- Accuracy and thoroughness in work.
- Excellent communication, telephone, and public relations skills.
- Ability to work well independently.
- Professional attitude and appearance.
- Ability to work well in stressful situations.
- Ability to operate related computer applications, and other business equipment including calculator, typewriter, copy machine, printer, telephone, fax.